The St. Louis Sister Cities Program is part of the World Trade Center St. Louis’ international mission. Sanctioned by Sister Cities International (www.sister-cities.org), locally, it supports and coordinates the 15 sister cities programs and provides guidance for those interested in establishing new sister cities relations.
Sister Cities International is a nonprofit city-to-city network inspired by President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s suggestion in 1956 that citizen diplomacy might reduce the chance of future world conflict. Today, more than 900 U.S. cities are paired with 1,300 cities in 92 different countries. Benefits of participation include:
- International business contacts
- Increased awareness of other cultures
- Opportunities to become host families for visitors and students from abroad
- Volunteer and community service
- Fostering of mutually beneficial relations in economic development, education, art, culture, medicine, and sports
- Showcase St. Louis as an international city